Work Life Balance
IN THE FAST-PACED WORLD OF MOTHERHOOD AND BUSINESSOWNERSHIP, FINDING WAYS TO ENHANCE PRODUCTIVITY ANDMAINTAIN A HEALTHY WORK-LIFE BALANCE IS ESSENTIAL.
Aside from so many gorgeous emerging designers popping into my inbox, I’m getting a lot of questions lately around juggling such young chidden along side a successful business, especially with one out of daycare this week with fevers and a rash (iykyk) one starting Kinder and one moving into grade one we feel very much in trenches of “life with very little kids” right now. Of course it’s just one season of life and I’m in no rush to see my last baby (Marley, one)grow too fast.. but there are some things I need to do that business owners without kids don’t – So here’s my top ten productivity tips to help you through if you’re in the trenches with me.
Even if your kids are just the fur kind, some of these will help you run a more efficient biz anyway.. kids are absolutely not necessary to apply the following to your days:
1. Prioritise and Plan: Make a daily to-do list and prioritise tasks based on importance and deadline. This helps to ensure that you are focusing on what needs to be done first and allows you to plan your time effectively. Time block your activities (all the marketing, socials’ etc, all emails and admin tasks etc and race the clock. I use the tomato timer app on my phone which is based on the pomodoro technique of25minutes focused work etc
(check it out here)
2. Automate and delegate: Automate repetitive tasks and delegate non-essential tasks to free up your time and focus on what is most important Don’t be scared to hire a VA you can get five hours of work you hate doing done for you from as low as $100 ($20 p/h)
3. Schedule work hours: Set specific work hours and stick to them as much as possible. This helps to create boundaries between work and family time and ensures that you are making the most of your time and you loose that constant guilt of feeling like you do motherhood and work in a mediocre fashion. when you’re a mum you can be 100% present and when you’re in work mode. Go be ALL about that work.
4. Use technology to your advantage: Utilise productivity tools such as AI (jasper or Chat GPT are your new besties. Notion or really any calendars, task management apps, and project management software to streamline your work processes and maximise efficiency.
5. Take breaks: Taking regular breaks throughout the day can help to reduce stress, increase focus, and boost productivity.
6. Ask for help: Don’t be afraid to ask for help from family, friends, or hired help. This can include tasks such as childcare, house cleaning, or errands, get someone else to pick up the kids on a work day so you can not break your stride and work through till dinner and you can have their kids on non work days in return etc.
7. Set realistic goals: Be realistic about what you can achieve each day and don’t overload yourself with too much work. Setting achievable goals helps to reduce stress and increase motivation. Be kind to yourself!
8. Practice self-care: Taking care of yourself is crucial for maintaining a healthy work-life balance and increasing productivity. This includes exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep. (put down the late night wine)
9. Use flexible work arrangements: Consider flexible work arrangements, such as working from a cafe so you don’t see the washing that needs folding or flexible hours, to accommodate your family and business needs.
10. Stay organised: Maintaining an organised work environment helps to reduce stress, increase focus, and streamline processes, ultimately maximizing productivity.
By following these practical tips, you can help balance motherhood and business ownership, increase productivity, and do your best in both areas.